Dal khichdi is a very healthy food recipe. It is very mild and is a one pot recipe. It can be given to babies from their 8 month onwards.
Dal has a lot of proteins in it and so is very nutritious for kids and adults.
This khichdi is very filling and you can serve it during breakfast or lunch. It makes you feel energetic for a very long time.
Different types of khichdi
There are many kinds of khichdi recipes and each one has some variations and unique taste in it. Among them all moong dal khichdi is the best.
The blending of moong dal and rice together makes the khichdi very soft and tasty to eat.
Chana dal khichdi also tastes good but it is slightly gastric and so I won’t recommend it for kids eating often. You can also follow the same recipe for making masoor dal khichdi with slight variations.
In many parts of south India urad dal khichdi is a famous recipe. You can feed it to girls who attain puberty, pregnant women and for new mothers as it is very nutritious for them.
Adding coconut is completely optional, but I love the flavour of coconut so I used to add it while making this dal khichdi.
You can pack this khichdi even for your kids lunch box along with some potato chips or fryums. I do this atleast once a week.
How to make dal khichdi at home in restaurant style?
The secret of restaurant style dal khichdi is using equal quantities of dal and rice. That is 1:1 ratio of rice and dal. The time of cooking also matters, it takes a little longer time for perfect textured dal khichdi.
Most importantly you have to use fresh desi ghee. Try making your own ghee at home as it has lots of goodness and fresh aroma in it.
Be generous in adding a good amount of ghee to your recipe. While serving the khichdi add 2 spoons of ghee in the khichdi to retain the raw ghee smell.
Is dal khichdi healthy?
And the answer is yes! It is very healthy as it contains a good source of protein and many nutrients in it. The calories in dal khichdi is a bit high as it contains rice in it which has a high amount of carbohydrates.
Reduce the amount of ghee while serving for adults. But for kids ghee doesn’t matter and of course it is actually good for their growth.
South Indian Style Tasty Breakfast Recipe Of Dal Khichdi For Kids
- 1.00 cup Rice
- 1.00 cup Moong Dal
- 0.50 cup Green Peas
- 2.00 tbsp Ginger Paste
- 2.00 tbsp Coconut Paste
- 3.00 nos Chili
- 1.00 nos Red Chili
- 1.00 tbsp Garam Masala
- 2.00 tbsp Salt
- 0.25 tbsp Sugar
- 0.50 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 2.00 tbsp Oil
- 2.00 tbsp Ghee
- Take the rice (aroma rice more popularly known as Gobindo Bhog Rice) Take the yellow moong dal in equal proportion as the rice.
- Wash the green Peas Make a paste of the ginger and coconut Slit the green chili. Set aside the red chili Make a paste of the fresh garam masala
- Heat the kadai and all the moong dal and dry roast them till the color changes to golden brown and the dal is fried uniformly.
- Add a cup of water to the pressure cooker and add the fried dal and boil for 4-5 minutes in high flame. Once boiled check after opening the lid that the dal is softened.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add the cumin seeds and red chili and fry them well till the cumin turns black.
- Add the coconut to the hot oil and fry it. Add the green peas and fry it well. Add the salt, stir and fry them well Add the green chili.
- Stir the above mixture well and add turmeric and sugar and mix it well. Add the ginger paste and mix it thoroughly
- Add the mixture from the above step to the pressure cooker containing the boiled dal. Add the washed rice to the mixture and stir well.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook for 5 minutes. When the pressure is cooled open the lid and add the garam masala paste and ghee and mix it thoroughly and the khichdi is ready to be served.